Saturday 27 October 2018

ARRL first night

So finally I got it all together in some way to be able to work.
Finalized the antenna yesterday and the rain started the same time and has not stopped since.
Had some other work to do yesterday so late afternoon I started the station up or thats what I thought.

















For some strange reason had I lost the nw Connection to the computer which worked the week before.
Tried to reconnect both ends on the cable but it did not help so I set up a WIFI nw instead.

Connected the rig together and got noice when switching on the preamp and the local beacon was fine but to amp did not TX when PTT was actuated.
Started bu testing the RIG but it was working as usual so the error was in the PA intself.
The investigation gave a broken PTT transistor in the PQL controller and fortunately I had an unassembled one so I could Exchange it.
Why it broke is a mystery but the only way I believe was the thunder hit we had a while ago.
















The antenna matching was terrible and for both pol only about -15 dB return loss.
Did not bother to build the switching logic for the dual pol so I will do that today.
The idea now is to just be able to switch between the two pols for RX and TX separately and one RX pol at the time.

Did manage to work 10 stations this morning with 300W output power and the propagation seems to be OK and hrd a lot but had some problems with getting both MAP65 and WSJT to work as I want them too.
Had a 3dB increase in noice when connecting the FCD to 28MHz RX line so from time to time I did not use it.
Experienced some increased noice and I need to look into that later today and when beaming toward west I beam in the direction of the house and the noice was increasing quite a lot.
Had some strong strange burst noice from time to time that I never seen before but it later dissapered so I will not bother at this time.

Weather forecast is some rain and windy and at the moment its snowing but hopefully it will not be so much as the past night.
Shall be QRV tonight and hopefully the propagation is good.

1 comment: